The Big Apple

Since moving to New York I've had friends call or write saying, "How's the Big Apple?" It's happened a few times, and I usually answer with, "Awesome" or something like that. Then they ask, "Why is it called the Big Apple?" and I have no answer.

So I decided to finally do some research. It isn't exactly concrete fact, but I figured I'd post it anyway so that I won't have to remember all this stuff and say it over the phone.

From what I've read, there are several answers to the question.

The most common response is that the term originated in the 1930's from jazz musicians who would refer to New York as the Big Apple. They would refer to New York in this way because it was the biggest, best, hippest, most enthusiastic and with all those attributes it was the most coveted place for them to play.

So how some random trumpet player came up with "Big Apple" isn't really certain. Although there is the thought that it may have come from the fact that there was a popular nightclub in Harlem called "The Big Apple." That makes sense too me.

The other story is that some newspaper writer in NY once heard some guys working in a stable who were so excited to come to New York where all the money was that they called it "The Big Apple." Maybe the horses ate apples, and they thought the apples would be bigger? I don't know, but the newspaper writer used it and it became a popular term.

So there you have it. More exciting trivia to come, including the origins of the I ♥ NY logo.

Note: The Big Apple (NYC) is not to be confused with the Big Apple, Colborne, Ontario.

No comments: