Old versus New: Things Done Changed

I took a book out of the library earlier this week about my neighbhorhood, Williamsburg. It tells about how the area was formed and how it's developed over the years. It also includes some really neat, old photos of the streets and buildings around here. I went through the book and was able to find two photos that were taken about a minute from my apartment (plus 60-80 years).

I had a few photos left on my camera so I tried to shoot the same shot that was photographed decades ago to see how much things have changed. I think it's pretty interesting.

Take a look into the past (1929):

There's not much that looks familiar, if anything. However, in the original old photograph from 1929 you can see this building:
It may still standing down the street to the east of us, although in my updated photo it isn't visible. I do have a recent photo of it, not very detailed, but I liked the shot. I'm not sure if it's the same, but it looks somewhat similar:

Next up is the view from South 4th street and Union Avenue facing Meserole Street. Here is the before shot: And the after shot:

The only recognizable building in each photo is the brown building on the far left, everything else has changed pretty drastically. That's the Walgreens where I get my photos developed!
There are a few more locations I hope to compare with photographs and when I do I'll be sure to share them with you.

No comments: