Statue of Liberty = Tourists

Chantal's Mom is in town visiting so we decided to go to the Statue of Liberty. None of us had been before and I thought it would be pretty cool to check it out and do something a bit touristy.

Well, I had no idea what to expect. I've been up the Empire State Building so I should have better known what would await us at the Castle Clinton ticket office in Battery Park.

Tourists were everywhere, taking picture of everything. The line to get onto the ferry was pretty long but wasn't nearly as bad as the Empire State Building when I went a few years ago. There were street performers to keep us company and bad sausages to keep our bellies full while we waited. Also, the view was pretty awesome. After having to remove my belt and everything from my pockets to be scanned through security we were ready to get onto the ferry after a few more minutes of waiting in the hot, enclosed holding tent.

Once on the ferry everyone rushed to the top deck where they began taking hundreds of photos of everything around us. People were standing on the benches, right next to where I was sitting, taking photographs with their fanny packs and camera straps slapping me in the face.
And we were still docked!

Once the boat left the dock practically everyone stood up at once and started clicking away. Tourists from Italy who were sitting in front of us must have taken at least 50 photos of themselves sitting on the boat looking cool. Then they ate some nasty smelling cheese.

Japanese tourists in groups of 86 people filmed everything with fancy digital cameras that are probably 4 years from being released here.We sat, enjoyed the view and made fun of the tourists.

No comments: