No Sitting!!!

Chantal and I had some tea in SoHo today and I was amazed that we found a spot to sit outside on some steps while we were waiting for a friend to arrive. I have taken for granted the luxury of taking a stroll down the street, wanting to tie my shoe or rest my weary feet, and finding a nice ledge or stair to sit on.

In Manhattan it is especially difficult to find these little spots to sit, which may explain the non-stop bustle of the city. If there is nowhere to sit, you must keep moving!

I guess it actually isn't difficult to find the spots to sit, it's just it's difficult to sit when you do. Many places in Manhattan (I haven't spotted any in Brooklyn yet) have installed 'anti-sitting' devices. Similar to the pigeon spikes I used on my balcony in Ottawa, but meant for humans.

I did some research and came up with this website of someone's impressive collection of anti-sit device photos, for your enjoyment.

It's amazing what people don't want you to sit on.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sitting on that fire hydrant will definitely leave a mark.