Ottawa vs. Brooklyn

Last night Joel and I went to dinner at our friend Amber's new apartment. We walked into a huge three-bedroom that was basically the entire top floor of a building. When we found out how much rent she payed for this approx. 1700 square feet apartment, I gritted my teeth. It was about half of what we're going to be paying in Brooklyn for a place that's one-third of the size. It was difficult to hear. I constantly have to remind myself that NYC=exciting and Ottawa=boring which means rent is much, much lower in Ottawa (although Ottawa is considered very expensive by Canadian standards).

We could be renting a house in Ottawa for the price we're paying for a one-bedroom in Williamsburg! But that would mean working a boring government job so...no thanks; I'll take the pricey rent over that any day.

No comments: